Thursday, February 17, 2011

STAR WARS: Jedi Training
Ethan Turns 5!

I promised Ethan that when he turned 5 he could have a party with all his friends. Ever since Santa brought Ethan the Lego Star Wars video game, the kid has been OBSESSED with Star Wars. So, naturally, that became the theme of his party.

Unfortunately for me, I have never seen all the Star Wars movies. I think I have seen one or two but honestly, I couldn't remember a thing about them. I knew Luke Skywalker was good and Darth Vader was bad. That's about it! So, I had to do some serious research so I could try to get some party ideas together and not get it wrong!

Ethan invited all the boys from church his age and another friend so we had about 8 all together. Here is a picture of most of the group.

When they arrived, they entered the Jedi Training Facility and were each given Jedi outfits to wear. After doing a Star Wars coloring page and maze activity, we began the games.

The first game was crossing Mustafar. They had to cross the hot lava by handing the person in front a stone to step on. They all had to step across without falling in the red hot lava.

Next, we asked a friend of ours (who is a huge Star Wars fan) if he'd be willing to dress up as a Jedi (he has an amazing costume) and come do some lightsaber and Jedi training. He did an AWESOME job. The boys were seriously hanging on every word he said. Then he did some amazing lightsaber training, showing them all the different moves they needed to know. He let them all practice the moves with him which as adorable.
After they were trained with their lightsabers, we tested their skills. Test number one was to destroy all the bubbles. Blake had the lucky job of standing in the middle of the room with the bubble blower while they attacked the bubbles!

Test number 2 was to use their lightsabers to keep the balloons in the air. They couldn't let them touch the ground.
After the lightsaber training was complete, their next objective was to rescue Princess Leia. She was hiding in a black balloon. It was hilarious to watch the boys trying to pop the balloons. One little boy was getting very frustrated that he couldn't pop his balloon. He burst into tears until I have him a little assistance. Then he was thrilled. I love this picture of Ethan in action!

After a break for lunch (Yoda soda, Pizza the Hut, Planet Hoth - crushed up oreos and whipped cream, and Edible Wookies - gummy bears), the boys went on a treasure hunt to find their goodie bags. After that, they ran to the basement to attack the Death Star (Emily made this and it turned out AMAZING). They loaded up their goodie bags with their candy and came upstairs for cake and ice cream.)
R2D2 Cake (my friend Melanie had this great cake pan that isn't sold anymore. She saved me!)

Singing to the birthday boy. He must be thinking of his wish here!

As everyone left, they were all given their lightsabers to take home as well as a certificate to recognize their advancement to Jedi's. We didn't have time to open gifts at the party so Ethan did that afterword and got some really fun Star Wars toys. Here is Ethan checking out his new red lightsaber (the kind Darth Vader uses).

How quickly he can turn to the dark side. Moments earlier he was a Jedi, fighting against the forces of evil. The next minute, he's this...

I think he's worn this costume every day for about a week!

I think it was a really fun party and he seemed really thrilled with it. It was shocking to me, however, how much time and money it takes to pull this off. I think it will be several years before we take on another party like this.

We sure love our little boy. I can't believe he's five now. He's turning into such a little man. He is my best buddy! We sure love you Ethan!

8 comments:

Colette said...

No wonder Tommy is still talking about it... looks like they all had a ball!! :)

kdbonacci said...

You are such a cool Mom!!! Too bad I don't live closer, I have a Star Wars cookbook I could have lent you. Looks like so much fun!!!

Scott said...

We did a similar party for Connor when he turned 6 and we can definitely relate to feeling a little spent afterward. Now the trick is to convince him to do something low-key next year... maybe a Jedi mind-trick would work...

http://thompson-blog.blogspot.com/2010/06/star-wars-birthday-party.html

Vanessa said...

Wow!

Emily said...

That looks like an awesome party! You are so clever!
The cake looks amazing.

The Teeples Times said...

That is one handsome Jedi you had come to your house! Dallin had an absolute BLAST!! Party planning is definitely one of your talents!! What a lucky boy Ethan is to have such a cool mom!!!

Emily H said...

What an awesome party! Everything looked amazing :)

Cabatic Family said...

It was a GREAT party!! Cole is always wearing his Jedi costume. He had a GREAT time!!!