I Forgot How Much
I LOVE New England!
I LOVE New England!
This summer, we needed to take a little break from life and have some family time. So, after making some threats to my husband, he finally agreed to take a few days off so we could get away. We decided to go to Connecticut and Rhode Island since it wasn't too far to drive but still a nice change of scenery.
We started our trip by visiting the Groton Submarine Museum. The kids really loved it. We were able to go on a real submarine which was very cool. They also had a bunch of displays where the kids could pretend they were in the control room or shooting off torpedos.
Mystic is also famous for its Basucle drawbridge. We got some ice cream at Mystic Drawbridge Ice Cream and waited for the bridge to open. Just as we were giving up and walking away, the bridge opened. It was really neat to watch!
The next day we took a ferry from Rhode Island to Block Island (part of RI). It was about an hour on the ferry and I wanted to pull my hair out by the end of it. Three rowdy children running wild with no where to go, hauling a double stroller up a flight of stairs on the boat, sea sickness, smells of vomit in the women's restroom...put it together and I was at my wits ends. I couldn't get off that boat fast enough. Thank goodness we had a bag of tootsie rolls to keep the kids attention!
Luckily, once we got off, things improved. We took a cab to a lighthouse and enjoyed the views. It was SO incredibly beautiful.
We decided to walk back into town and it was a wonderful walk (besides the fact that Addie refused to sit in her stroller so I had to carry her while Ethan rode in her seat). We chatted with people walking by, ate blackberries from bushes on the side of the road (Blake encountered a berry that was, unfortunately for him, anything but a blueberry!), and breathed in the cool sea breeze.
On our way down, we stopped at a little farm and got to see some pretty amazing animals. Here Grant and Addie are feeding a grape to a Zee-Donk. That's right...a Zebra/Donkey. Pretty cool!
On Day 3 we explored a little town in southeast CT called Stonington. It was so charming and beautiful! I can't believe we lived in Connecticut and never explored this area.
So, it was only a three day trip but we had a wonderful time. The only bumps we had were trying to get the twins to sleep in pack-n-plays in a hotel, and feeling a little sick after eating those fried pickles! We had a blast just swimming in the hotel pool, eating ice cream and just being together. Great times!
4 comments:
Looks like a fun trip! I can't believe how big the twins are getting...and so cute!
What a fun getaway. Sometimes we just need those little getaways to rejuvinate. We may have to take a trip up that way. I wold love to see Rhode Island. Cole loves pickles, not sure if he would like them fried. They looked Yummy!!
Hey...that's my old stopping ground. Did you look across the river in Groton and see the Coast Guard Academy in New London? That's where I went to two years of college. Anywho. I NEED to talk to you, it's urgent. so when you get this call me, 390-9892...you know the first 3 #'s ;) Love ya, Sister Beste
Fried pickles??? you are brave I wouldn't have even tried one:) Oh man Ct Is truly beautiful! I loved the few beached we visited and I have always been sad that we never went out to Block Island. You know my husband.. the one who never wants to spend money on life experiences... ya well he thought it was a wast of money to do stuff like that ha ha! i should have gone by myself! I loved Mystic though! I wish we had gone back one more time to have pizza there:) we sure miss you guys! lets skype again soon!
Post a Comment